State Education Network (SEN)
The landscape in Michigan has changed with the arrival of the State Education Network (SEN). The SEN is a fiber network backbone that provides fantastic speeds for a mere $.50/mb.
The vision for the State Education Network is to connect 100% of Michigan’s ISDs, LEAs, and PSAs with the networking capacity needed to ensure that teachers and students never see bandwidth as a barrier to achieving their goals in the classroom.
The SEN allows online assessments and other high value online activities to be accessed securely at higher bandwidths and lower costs than traditional Internet access. The SEN facilitates great opportunities to share technology and related services.
REGIONAL INITIATIVES HAVE ALREADY:
Replaced current internet contracts: One ISD saved approximately $15,000 per year!
School services: One ISD hosts another ISDs PowerSchool and Magic Meal.
Hosting services: Virtual server hosting. Examples include; Student Information Systems, Off-site Backups, Firewall, and Internet Access.
FAST, SECURE, AND RELIABLE:
- Keep up with the growing demand for bandwidth with regional and state-wide purchasing.
- Provide direct paths between ISDs/ESAs/RESAs to make collaboration and resource sharing easy, secure, and cost effective.
- ISD connections set the stage for Phase II, connecting all LEAs and buildings.
- Meet the growing demand for fast, secure connections that protect student data.
- Help attract Federal E-Rate dollars by supporting FCC goals of state-wide connectivity.
COST SAVINGS TO THE STATE:
- A high-bandwidth, shared intranet will position all districts in the state for collaborative purchasing.
- The SEN’s readily available connections between facilities provide a platform for cost efficient sharing of resources.
- Efficient use of networking resources will help attract Federal dollars by demonstrating Michigan’s effective use of tax payer resources.
If you have questions, or would like to learn more, please contact us!